Pages

Saturday 5 October 2013

Braces and the evil Spur Steak Ranch

Friday nights are when I am most likely to be thrown from the diet wagon and land straight on the soft cushioning of a meaty treat pizza. I am proud to say that this Friday night I had a very healthy dinner of Asian chicken salad and strawberries with Greek yoghurt for dessert.

I had my bottom braces put on on Thursday so this has really made me think twice about what I am eating. I have to weigh up the value of the food based on whether it is worth the pain of chewing it:

Chocolate: tried it and no. It doesn't fill me up and I am too impatient to suck it until it dissolves.
Yoghurt: great option because it requires no chewing. Greek yoghurt is the most filling.
Fruit: yes, especially bananas and strawberries.
Carrots and cucumber: I suffer through the chewing because they taste great with dip and are healthy and filling. 

I am hoping the pain with subside soon, but for the moment I'm reveling in the new pain-driven mentality which is making me think before I eat instead of mindlessly snacking.

Tonight I am feeling lazy after quite an intense Taebo workout. After I was done, I had the most intense craving for a Spur cheese burger. Spur is a 2 minute walk from my house and the temptation was intense... until I looked up the nutritional info online. This quickly cured me.

The meal (burger, chips and onion rings) contains:
5 590 KJ
12g sugar
75g fat of which 34g is saturated

I realise that is a lot, but I blamed the chips and onion rings. Nope. Just the burger contains:
2 425 KJ
68g sugar
29g fat of which 14.2g is saturated

To put this in perspective, the maximum kilojoules my Weight Watchers calculator has is 1525 KJ and the maximum saturated fat is 14g. This means the max points value is 8.5pts for 1 item.

If it's off the Weight Watchers chart, it's not going in my body.


No comments:

Post a Comment